Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 218

Simply put: I just read the most theologically challenging book: Men and Women in the Church by author Dr. Sarah Sumner. By far, the most important book I've read in a long time (except the Bible, to me there is absolutely nothing better than God's Word ever).
I read this as a textbook. It wasn't a walk in the park mentally. I wrestled through it and with it. I was faced with questions I wasn't ready for, and some of them quiet honestly I was scared of the answers. I was given a mirror at times and saw within my heart some deep prejudices that I did not even know I had. At many points throughout the text I was deeply convicted.

So let me warn you: do not attempt to read this book unless you are spiritually ready. Do not dive into the text without prayer. Do not attempt to go it alone either - there are discussion questions at the end of each chapter - read it with someone.
Here are two quotes from people who have praised this book:
"This is a deep and important book, with a significance far beyond what the title alone would suggest...I strongly encourage anyone who is concerned about the conduct of visible church life to study this book carefully."
Dallas Willard, Professor of Philosophy, University of Southern California, and author of The Divine Conspiracy

"This book is a tribute to Sarah Sumner's academic devotion and puts to good use her theological training. Her analysis is fresh and much on the mark. Helga and I are praying that her ministry will have a great and holy impact."
Carl F. H. Henry, Founding Editor of Christianity Today, and author of the 6-Volume God, Revelation and Authority
Men and Women in the Church: Building Consensus on Christian Leadership

No comments:

Post a Comment