Friday, January 14, 2011

Challenge Completed

Wow did that title roll off the fingers with ease! I'm so amazed to be writing the end of year post and be able to proclaim - I finished! Now before I bore you with all the sentimentality of the things learned, favorite authors, and other general details - let me get down to business, I have the last books to report!
From Ashes to Beauty: Spiritual Truths for Rebuilding and Revitalizing Your Marriage
Based on the Beatitudes in the gospel of Matthew, Jeff Colon addresses both spouses and admonishes men and women to be biblical in the home. It isn't a book that "defines roles," "explains behavior," or "sympathizes with the reader." Colon focuses on Jesus and the truth of the Bible while encouraging the reader to apply it to their life, to their marriage, and to their faith.
Mocha with Max by Max Lucado, was given to me by a dear friend from Florida (thanks again, Amy!). I started reading it long ago, but because it is such a "pleasure read" (in my categorical system) I put off finishing it for the sake of other "serious Christian Living" books (like the one above :) ). Boy was I wrong, it was very rich with insight, hope, deep biblical truth, scripture, and even sketches. I was edified and uplifted. I needed a break from books saying "be a doer doer doer" and this book helped me to sit down and reflect on "Jesus Jesus Jesus" - the sweetest name I know. It's a beautiful book - you need to read it.
The Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel The Main Thing
I have been recommended this book a number of times by C.J. Mahaney, and just today I saw it on my parents book shelf. I thought, "huh, I can read this one for the '24th book' and still finish today!" So I did. I still have 4-5 unfinished books to tackle and I admit to starting this book new today, but I'm so glad I did. The truth preached in this small book are HUGE: the Gospel! The good news! Back to the motivator of the book Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt, I needed to be reminded of how truly life changing (an ongoing life change) the gospel is! Jesus Christ died for my sins! I have been justified freely and there is no condemnation! Also, in this book was amazing end notes for further reading! I can't wait to get my hands on
D.A. Carson's works: The Cross & Christian Ministry: An Exposition of Passages from 1 Corinthians & How Long, O Lord?: Reflections on Suffering and Evil
David Prior's THE MESSAGE OF 1 CORINTHIANS, life in the local church (Bible Speaks Today)
John Stott's The Cross of Christ
Jerry Bridges' The Discipline of Grace: God's Role and Our Role in the Pursuit of Holiness
Charles Spurgeon's Discovering the Power of the Cross of Christ (Christian Living/Classics) (Discovering the Power Series) (Life of Christ Series)
Anybody?
Maybe you'll see those titles on this blog throughout the next year.
I'm still formulating the new challenge that begins tomorrow...check back to find out...for now I just want to say it feels amazing to have fought my way through so many books this past year. I'm not proud of all of them (The Bad Beginning & Very Valentine) but I am extremely honored by others (the Bible!). I still reference many of them, and I will never be the same because I gained discipline. I grew in perseverance. I refined my definition of "entertainment" and I am closer to my ultimate goal in life.
Thank you for reading, commenting, and providing me with accountability. Like I already said, check back for the next big challenge! And please share with me what you're challenging yourself to do this year! I'd love to know.
Peace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment