Friday, December 31, 2010

Almost end of year recap: Day 351

The complete a book challenge is almost coming to an end. Day 1: this post started it all. I have a few books to report finished (and I must take a moment to apologize for my long silence - I've had major family issues to attend to - but a day hasn't gone by that I haven't longed to read and write!).
What you missed - I've finished:
Return (Redemption) -- Third book in the Redemption series, and I need to give a major shout to Karen Kingsbury for her artistry in this one! The twists and turns in the characters' lives are amazing. She is truly a gifted author.
Choosing to SEE: A Journey of Struggle and Hope -- Mary Beth Chapman (yes, Steven Curtis Chapman's wife) wrote a memoirs of sort. Starting with her childhood, she takes the reader through not only her pain and loss of their beloved daughter Maria, but it is also her personal journey through life ranging from damaging house fires to deep depressions. She is honest and funny, and you'll definitely feel like a friend of the family in the end.
NKJV The Woman's Study Bible: Second Edition -- The BIBLE!!! I'm so excited to report that I've finished reading through the Bible this year. I've never done this before, and the reward was the challenge. I am blessed to have God's Word, to read it, and to hide it in my heart. I plan on reading it again in 2011, but this year I'll be reading: ESV Study Bible (TruTone, Natural Brown) - I got this for Christmas and I've already been pouring over it! This is an amazing study Bible if you're truly curious about what everything means - this Bible is the b-e-s-t.
So...did I meet my goal? Did I finish the challenge?
Honestly, I hope so. I still have 14 days to go!! I need to read 4 books in 2 weeks. Can I do it? I sure hope so. I'm half way through 6 books right now...(which if you recall in my first post, linked above, this was my original problem = not finishing books!) but even if I don't finish all of these in the next 14 days - I will. I know I will finish. This challenge has changed my life, it did accomplish the intended purpose. I am much more disciplined now than I was 11 months and 2 weeks ago. My life has changed in so many chart-able ways for the better.
One thing that must be said is, I know Jesus better. I know His Spirit's movement in my life. I have been led into walking closer with Him. Every morning I woke up rain or shine and read His word and from their I just kept reading and doing, and seeing small steps of completion through one book after another was enough of a motivator to keep going, to keep pressing on. It helps that I have a love for knowledge and my heart longs for wisdom - those two desires helped me dig through some of the more challenging books of the year. Turning the TV off and opening up a good fiction book actually helped to relax my mind. 
As a recap, what may have been a very lonely year was actually a very profitable year for me personally. I invested in my mind and grew in integrity and in discipline. It may be appropriate to also say that I couldn't have done any of this without Jesus. He has been tested and found faithful to me, and He is the reason I can do anything - His grace is completely sufficient. I am so grateful for the things learned this past year. 
Soon I will post the new challenge for 2011 - I hope you didn't think this blog was for this year only - please keep reading, and commenting, and challenging yourself! Let's make 2011 a year where we share even more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment